Employment law advice
"Shoosmiths provide very commercial advice and have invested time to really understand our business.They appreciate that we often need a very quick turnaround and they always deliver to our timescales, enabling us to resolve issues quickly and efficiently."
Head of human resources, Debenhams
Human relationships are complex enough, but when you add the multitude of employment laws that now regulate the UK it is little wonder busy managers and HR departments need regular legal support.
The advice we offer is different: we will not just tell you the law - we will tell you what it means for your business.
We pride ourselves on talking business sense and will not bombard you with legal jargon, or simply say: "You can't do that! "
We work with our clients in a commonsense way to help you achieve the outcome you need. With timely and realistic advice, you can achieve your aims and aspirations within the law.
Just as importantly, taking timely advice can help avert the escalation of issues that might otherwise result in costly litigation.
Our experienced employment team is dedicated to providing commercial, pragmatic advice on the full range of employment law issues.
We will work with you to ensure that whatever the problem, we can achieve the best resolution for your business every time.
Employment law advice takes many different forms, but our team is large enough to cope with whatever clients throw at us.
We can help you by:
- giving you a clear, simple explanation of the technical stuff tailored to your particular needs
- designing solutions that move your business on, and in the direction you want it to go
- keeping you up-to-date with the latest legal developments through our range of briefings and seminars
We are regularly asked to support clients in carrying out dismissals, including large scale redundancies, and conducting disciplinary and grievance hearings, avoiding unlawful discrimination, understanding the application of family friendly rights, drafting, reviewing and updating their contractual documentation and handbooks, and understanding working time and employee representation requirements.
- Helplines - we operate employment helplines for a number of clients. We are experienced in providing on-the-spot, practical and useable advice; for example concerning disciplinary and grievance issues.
- Projects - clients regularly entrust us with a wide range of strategic and business critical projects, for example in relation tor restructuring and re-organisations, TUPE transfers, senior executive exits, changing terms and conditions, and contract and policy reviews.
- Employment litigation - we offer a 'cradle to grave' service, and have wide experience of conducting employment tribunal advocacy. We recognise that certainty of cost, strategy and approach is important to our clients when faced with litigation, and we aim to help clients address these issues.
- Specialist teams - we provide a wide range of specialist services and have expertise on hand in a number of niche areas, such as immigration, trade union dispute, and employment tax.
- Seminars and updates - we run a comprehensive programme of employment seminars and updates, and have a range of useable and innovative HR and employment law training products.