Executive appointment & exits
"Acknowledged by rivals to be 'among the best of our competitors'."
We regularly act for both employers and individuals on executive appointments and exits, so can give well rounded advice and guidance based on current market practice, whatever your perspective.
For employers, securing the best talent to lead your organisation is vital. We will make sure your contracts and associated documents give you the flexibility and protection needed throughout and at the end of the relationship.
The regulatory environment for pubic companies is constantly evolving and the current media spotlight on executive remuneration means employers must be fully up to speed with their compliance obligations and the expectations of shareholders when it comes to executive appointments and exits.
For individuals, we will make sure you fully understand the implications of the conditions of your appointment and help negotiate the best deal for you.
The circumstances of each executive exit will be different, but our legal advisers can and do help both parties to achieve terms on termination which work for them.
When it comes to the financial sector, the rules are getting even tighter. Several of our legal advisers are financial service specialists who can advise on the particular requirements in this area.
- Advising a number of senior executives on their exit from an international logistics company following its acquisition by private equity investors, negotiating severance packages and limitations to their post termination restrictions
- Supporting an engineering company with the exit of senior executives in a target company post acquisition, advising on their entitlement to enhanced severance terms on a change in control, the tax treatment of the payments to an employee based overseas and negotiating their bonus
- Successfully defending a claim from a senior executive for a severance payment of over £1.5m on the basis that liability had not transferred to our client under TUPE
- Drafting service agreements, including post-termination covenants for senior brokers and hedge fund managers
- Advising a major PLC on the timing and severance terms for the departure of its CFO in compliance with its obligations to the market