Employment advice for individuals
"The most efficient, professional and knowledgeable employment advice I have received in my 35-year career working in blue chip companies - very impressive."
Blue chip FMCG company
Our broad experience advising employers means we are also ideally placed to act for individuals at every stage of their employment journey, from recruitment to termination.
We don't just act for senior executives, but for partners, employees, consultants, directors and other workers at all levels, in both the public and private sectors.
We understand the important part that work plays in most people's lives and we know that if issues and problems arise at work they can be very stressful.
We pride ourselves on providing friendly, accessible and sensible advice and on guiding clients through any relevant process in a calm and sympathetic way.
Our focus is always on our individual client's best interests and we are confident we can help you make the best choice for you in an informed way.
How can we help?
We advise individuals on contentious and non-contentious matters, including:
- On recruitment, reviewing and negotiating terms and conditions in particular benefits, bonuses and share option packages.
- On recruitment, giving advice on the extent and enforceability of restrictive covenants and other obligations under the contract.
- Defending disciplinary charges brought against individuals by their employer. Our specialist Regulatory team can also represent individuals in dealing with professional bodies such as the General Medical Council.
- Bringing grievances, including in relation to bullying and harassment issues.
- Advising on proposed changes to terms and conditions.
- Advising on possible discrimination issues, including disability and reasonable adjustments required to be made by the employer.
- Assisting with appeals against selection for redundancy.
- Negotiating exit packages and settlement agreements.
- Advising on the enforceability of restrictive covenants and representing individuals where their ex-employer is threatening legal action as a result of their new employment with a competitor.
- Where litigation is necessary, lodging claims and acting for you in the employment tribunal or other courts.
- Advising on tax and pension issues that may arise throughout employment or on termination.
Our employment specialists have a wealth of experience and knowledge, so can usually find creative or alternative solutions which you may not have considered. Above all, we will be on your side and will always strive to get the best deal for you.
- Advising an executive on terms of appointment which led to her successfully negotiating a reduction in her restrictions and better terms.
- Acting for Elaine Day in her Employment Tribunal claim against The Household of HRH Prince of Wales.
- Acting for the employee in the well-publicised dispute between him and his employer concerning alleged comments he had made about the implementation of the Government's National Heath Service database.
- Advising a number of senior executives on their exit from an international logistics company following its acquisition by private equity investors, negotiating severance packages and limitations to their post termination restrictions.
- Negotiating a termination package for a senior executive resulting in an increase in compensation equivalent to an extra year's net salary and other increased benefits during their notice period.
- Agreeing the waiver of restrictive covenants as part of an exit package for a senior sales manager.