Compulsory purchase order
"The team is very professional and approachable, and I feel that they have our best interests at heart."
The compulsory purchase of land can be a vital weapon in the armoury of an acquiring authority; whether to facilitate regeneration of an area or to secure other public works such as improvement to or provision of highways.
Our planning team has wide experience of acting for both promoters and objectors to Compulsory Purchaser Order schemes, and can provide you with advice on a range of matters; from specific compensation issues to strategic advice on land assembly and CPO process.
We deliver a service focused on your particular needs and on your objectives, whether they are working closely with our public sector clients to facilitate a robust case for CPO, or with individual objectors or businesses seeking to secure compensation or other concessions from the acquiring authority.
Given the nature of the CPO process and the number of complex legal issues that can arise, we are used to working as part of a multi-disciplinary team, and will provide advice on the assembly of such teams, including the appointment of planning counsel.
Other services include:
- advice on the drafting of relevant committee reports and CPO documentation
- advice on compensation issues
- drafting objection letters and relevant appeal documents
- High Court proceedings and Judicial Review
- crafting CPO Indemnity Agreements and Joint Co-Operation Agreements with local authorities
Nottingham City Council
Acting for the council on the implementation of a confirmed CPO for the regeneration of the Broadmarsh Shopping Centre, by Australian developer Westfield
Cannock Chase District Council
Promoting a CPO-facilitating land assembly for the development of a retail-led, mixed-use scheme to regenerate and provide a gateway to Hednesford town centre; throughout the process working closely with the council's preferred development partner St Modwen
Advising PxP (joint venture/public-private partnership between Advantage West Midlands and Langtree), on the CPO aspects of a regeneration scheme for Smethwick, in Birmingham
Walsall Metropolitan Borough Council
- Acting for Walsall Metropolitan Borough Council in relation to the compulsory purchase of land required for the promotion of a programme of major highways improvements to Walsall Ring Road
- Acting for a major landowner in relation to an objection to a Transport and Works Act railway works scheme between Marylebone and Oxford Stations, including drafting of the objection letter, assembly of evidence for the public inquiry and drafting and completion of settlement documents
- Advising various landowner objectors in connection with the proposed redevelopment of New Street Station in Birmingham including drafting of letters of objection, advising on Heads of Claim and CPO cost indemnity arrangements.