"Shoosmiths has extensive product knowledge in the fashion, footwear and accessories field... Because of their expertise in this fast moving market, I have often recommended Shoosmiths to companies in the UK and abroad."
European Editor, Footwear News (USA)
Whether you are a luxury, mid-market or emerging fashion brand our dedicated fashion law team are here to help you. We have the legal expertise and industry knowledge to assist you in reaching your objectives and overcoming your challenges.
Our extensive knowledge of the fashion industry allows us to provide pro-active, tailored support to businesses operating within the fast moving clothing, footwear and accessories industry be it through traditional bricks and mortar, online or omni-channel outlets.
Our focus is on helping fashion businesses deal with:-
- day-to-day issues like interns, agents, manufacturing agreements and website/domain name problems; as well as
- strategic projects including collaborations, international expansion, social media marketing, funding/selling and IP creation/protection
In addition to acting for global fashion brands we provide assistance to the British Fashion Council by mentoring their sponsored NewGen designers and act as visiting lecturers to universities offering fashion courses to help those graduates understand the issues facing them in the business world.
We guide our clients through the legal minefield of issues which arise in running a fashion business from employing people and working with contractors, to taking a lease of a studio or from resolving a dispute with a supplier to protecting and exploiting the intellectual property on which their businesses rely.
With the advent of wearable technology and other high-tech advancements shaping the fashion industry we are at the forefront of advising our clients on data protection issues, digital and social media engagement, app development, payment systems, 3D printing and scanning and partnering with new technology companies.
Our lawyers are always available when you need them and our fashion industry experience (both on and off line) means that we can provide useful and practical advice which is only a call away. This unique industry insight led to Gary Assim, head of the Shoosmiths Fashion law team, being the only lawyer ever to be included in the Drapers Top 100 Most Important and Influential People in Fashion, illustrating our credentials in the sector.
We have spent 170 years building our brand so clients such as H&M, LK Bennett, Nicholas Kirkwood and Kate Spade can trust us with theirs.
Recent matters include:
- Advising our client on the creation of a new on-line clothing fashion brand and providing all associated legal support from terms of business, trade mark protection, distribution agreements, communications & on-line marketing agreements and data protection issues
- Providing strategic advice on international expansion to various UK fashion brands
- Advising a global fashion design, import and manufacturing company on all legal issues relating to the establishment of their on-line sales and marketing platform including all software agreements, affiliate marketing agreements, terms and conditions, data protection and consumer regulatory issues
- Advising UK fashion brands on franchising, licensing or joint ventures in the UAE, China, Hong Kong and Russia
- Drafting and negotiating a collaboration and joint venture agreement to establish a vehicle for the development and commercial exploitation of a leading clothing brand
- Advising a global fashion brand on creating a social media marketing campaign from which selfies of customers wearing the brands clothing were posted to a website created specifically for the campaign. Certain individuals were then chosen from the website to be in the brands TV advertising
- Bringing claims for patent, trade mark, copyright or design right infringement and passing off for various brand owners in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court and High Court to enable clients to protect their fashion brands
- Drafting brand ambassador agreements for the appointment of celebrities/industry leaders in relation to the provision of blogging and related social media services
- Competition law advice relating to pricing and the ability to restrict online apparel sales in particular territories through third party websites
- Preparing trade mark licences for the commercial exploitation of fashion brands in the UK and foreign jurisdictions