Health & safety
"The team is praised for its 'approachability, professional support and knowledge'."
The Legal 500
Whilst all businesses strive to achieve an accident-free workplace, we all know accidents can happen.
Compliance with health and safety law is the minimum level all businesses should achieve.
Failure to do so can result not only in criminal prosecutions, but loss of employee working time, low morale, adverse media attention and reputational damage.
Time invested on proper internal investigation of the facts and key issues in the immediate aftermath of an inspection, incident or accident, coupled with cooperation with all reasonable demands, can have a significant bearing on the approach of the regulator and any enforcement action.
Our experienced regulatory lawyers can help prioritise your objectives and promote a positive outcome to any investigation. This can be by supporting your business, staff and management following an accident, during the accident investigation, or at PACE interviews, inquests, and through representation in the criminal and civil courts.
Whilst safety enforcement is based in the criminal sphere, our team's knowledge and experience ensures clients do not lose sight of civil actions, such as personal injury claims or damage to property.
Ranked top tier by leading law firm directory, The Legal 500, our dedicated team offers a 24/7 service to assist you with:
- defending manslaughter/corporate manslaughter and health and safety allegationsdealing with fire safety investigations, notices and prosecutions
- appeals against Improvement, Prohibition and other Enforcement Notices
- representation at inquests, public inquiries and interviews under caution
- crisis management and incident investigation
- health and safety consultancy service, compliance audits and proactive policy advice
- specialist advice on COMAH, CDM, and all other specialist health and safety legislation
- media consultation to avoid brand damage
Health and safety should not just be reactive: accident prevention and proactive health and safety management is a minimum legal requirement and should be high on the agenda at all levels of any organisation.
Training is often a key aspect of clients' safety management processes, and we have extensive experience of providing bespoke training sessions, from shop floor to board level. Relevance to the business is always uppermost in our minds.
- Successfully defended production director of a manufacturing business charged with gross negligence manslaughter and a health and safety offence, following a fatal crushing injury to an employee
- Represented national food manufacturer in relation to a number of safety investigations, PACE interviews, and representation at court for breaches of health and safety legislation
- Represented a large retailer at PACE interview and in court following an investigation into an accident involving tipping of a forklift truck
- Presented a number of mock trial training events in conjunction with the Health and Safety Executive and Construction Industry Working Well Together Group
- Representing two site construction managers at a large food factory construction project in the Midlands following a fatal accident. Supporting them at interviews under caution with the police for allegations of manslaughter and safety failings, representing them at inquest ,and providing outcome of no prosecution, whilst a number of other businesses and individuals remain under suspicion for various breaches